7 Best Practices for Developing High-Performance React Native Apps
It is 2023, and people want everything to be done in a matter of seconds.
This alone is a reason enough to develop a mobile app with React Native. This platform is chosen by companies to create cross–platform apps. Since its inception, React Native has been desired by web developers because of its functionality and features.
However, it has always been tough to keep the React Native app performing after creating it. And with the speed at which the world is progressing, people are quick to uninstall the app from their phone and switch to a competitor’s app.
Thus, below mentioned are the reasons as to why the app works slowly and how one can develop a high–performing app using React Native:
Reasons for React Native App’s Performance to Decline:
Pretty much like every other framework, React Native, too, has its limitations, and when the app is pushed beyond that, its performance is likely to decline. However, below mentioned are the reasons for React Native App’s declined performance:
- Navigation Issue: Although React Native app developers are working on fixing the navigation issue, it still affects the app’s performance.
- Launch Issue: When the launch of the app is slow, people tend to get irritated. This issue can be caused by adding too many elements resulting in a decrease in the speed.
- Memory Leakage: While using ScrollView, the process in the background becomes messy. And it could lead to memory leakage.
- Dependencies: If the app has lots of dependencies. If your React Native App depends on project codes obtained from outside, it slows down.
Although there are many more reasons for the decline in React Native App’s performance, it can be fixed. But it would be best if you had an expert for that. Thus, the wise decision would be to Hire React Native Developer.
How to develop high-performing React Native Apps?
Fix the Navigation
As mentioned above, navigation issues slow the performance of the app. If the app runs even a millisecond slower, the user will leave and might never return, thus uninstalling the app. Hence, the first issue that needs fixing is Navigation. It can be done in 3 different ways:
- Navigator iOS, which can be used for Apple phones
- Navigator for small apps and prototypes. It cannot be used for more extensive and heavier apps.
- React Navigation is a surefire way to fix the navigation issues.
Speed up the Launcher
One can measure an app’s speed by its launcher, which needs proper rendering, reduced memory usage, and shrink the bundle size. These things can be fixed by performance enhancers which are:
- Hermes: Hermes is an open-source and JS-optimized engine that is designed specifically for React Native. This helps reduce the APK download size and restricts memory from getting full. Plus, the best part about it is that it can be used with Android as well as iOS.
- Memoization will prevent rendering: Another way to speed up the launcher and even improve its performance is by memoization. It means speeding up the launch of the app by removing all the caches and elements that are slowing it down. The React Native app developers can either use useMemo or memo to memoize. Both of these help enhance the performance of a React Native app.
Avoid using Scroll View.
There are two ways to render the list on the application – one is by integrating ScrollView, and another is by employing FlatList.
According to experts, ScrollView is suggested to be used when the number of elements to be displayed is of limited size and quantity. Hence if your app has features that are tall, heavy, and take up too much space, the use of ScrollView should be avoided.
Instead, using FlatList will render elements that are presented on the screen and not the ones which aren’t. Hence, to avoid exhausting the app and increase its functionality and speed, using FlatList is the best.
Optimize Images and React Native Code Beforehand
Before Optimizing Images, you need to cache the image, and for that, you need to understand what problems one can face while caching the images. They are:
- Many images on a single screen
- Slow image loading speed
- Image flickering can be observed
Now, to solve these problems, you need to use the third–party libraries like React Native images that will guide you in improving image health overall. However, it would help if you chose the third-party libraries which can function with both Android and iOS.
Just like one optimizes a blog to rank it in Search Engine Pages, it is standard practice to optimize the code to deliver an application that is not only fast but smooth as well. One of the ways to do so is to employ PureComponent for text. This way, you’ll avoid the risk of overriding the codes. Thus, to avoid doing it later, it is necessary to optimize images and code at the time of developing the app itself.
Memory leakage could happen due to the heaviness of the app. Hence, it could be solved by using FlatList instead of using ScrollList; you can incorporate SectionList or FlatList.
SectionList supports features like header and footed support, cross-platform, data and item rendering support, etc. FlatList supports everything SectionList supports, and also provides ScrollToIndex support as well as multiple-column support.
Instead of changing it later, do not incorporate ScrollList if the app is going to be more significant. Use it with the prototype. But with the final product, to save the app from memory leakage, try SectionList or FlatList.
Using dependencies in the projects helps the app a lot. However, usage of it could disrupt its performance. It means you are adding unnecessary codes, increasing the size of the bundle.
Even if it saves time in developing the app, it fills the storage when the app becomes more prominent and gets more complex. Eventually, one loses the tract of unused dependencies and forgets to remove them.
Hence, during the creation of the app stage, the developer should take care that not too many dependencies are used.
Reduce the App Size
Reducing the app size is the last resort for optimizing the speed. But it is better to be safe than sorry. So instead of reducing the app size at a later stage, it is better to create an app that is already lighter and is not filled with heavy data. This problem occurs mainly while creating apps for Android phones, which makes it difficult for users to download.
Although every project demands a different framework, it is necessary to choose the best framework for your app. But no matter what framework you choose, it should be able to deliver a high–performing app. People will not think twice before uninstalling your app and putting their needs above brand loyalty.
Hence, when you are confused, go for React Native. Hire React Native App Development Company now and get yourself an excellent and high–performing app created.
Original source: here