The next new thing about floors is polished concrete floors, and it has come out as a total winner because they are beautiful. It is suitable for any housing – be it the residential, commercial, or even the industrial type of housing project.
The Process of Concrete Polishing
Making concrete polished floors is a mechanical process. It involves grinding and polishing by using penetrating chemicals that are called hardeners. It is not a task that can be achieved in one step, and it is completed in a series of steps with the help of special types of equipment and tools.
The properties of polished concrete are best observed through its surface effect, and it can be brought about in several ways.
For the polishing step, machines fitted with diamond-cut abrasives are used. They are used in grinding the cement surface till the desired effect is obtained. After polishing, the surface becomes shiny and smooth. The process is on the diamond sizes change from the coarser to the finer ones.
Wet and dry methods can obtain polished concrete floors. In the wet method, water is used in making the diamond abrasive cool, and this is done to reduce the amount of dust that is the effect of polishing. It also reduces the friction that is caused by it. Water has another benefit heret acts like a lubricating substance, thereby increasing the longevity of the polishing abrasive.
In the dry method, no water is used. Here, the form dust goes directly into a container through the vacuuming effect. There is no mess left from the polishing, and it is fast, eco-friendly, and convenient.
Where Is Concrete Floor Used
Concrete polished floors are used in several places like:
- Big warehouses and their outlets
- Retail stores
- Restaurants and hotels
- Office buildings
- Automobile showrooms
- Private residential areas
The Benefits of Concrete Polished Floors
There are many benefits of concrete polished floors. They are:
- The floors remain clean and are very easy to maintain, and there is no need to wax them or apply other coating materials.
- They are beautiful and appealing and have a natural stone-like appearance. As a result, it looks like as if it is expensive and elegant.
- Looks clean and bright
- No harmful chemicals like waxes, urethanes, or epoxies are used. As such, it is not hazardous.
- It is pocket friendly
- It has a lasting effect
- It is versatile in nature
- Highly durable
- Resistant to slipping
Where To Use Polished Concrete Floors?
Polished concrete floor is limited to using in the mentioned above places.
- Aeroplane hangars
- Automotive manufacturing units
- Commercial kitchens
- Driveways and decks
- Pharmaceutical units and laboratories
How Much Time Does It Take To Complete Polished Concrete Floors?
The completion of the concrete polished floor usually depends on the size of the project and the contractor who has taken up the job. Some other deciding factors are:
- The condition of the substrate
- The number of patches and repairs that are to be made
- Amount ofexposed aggregate
- The number of divots, cracks, and chips on the existing floor
- The decorative elements that are required and the color that you would want
To get the perfect Polished concrete floor, you would require a certain amount of skills in your contractor and his expertise. But if all goes well, you are set to have the perfect floor that you have so desired. With the perfect work done, you can get an amazing look at your old floor that you never thought could have looked this beautiful before.